Process in Detail
Step 1 Negotiation Phase
1. Having checked
that the dispute comes within ECODIR dispute resolution
the First Party logs
in and creates
a new user account.
2. The First Party then fills out
the online invitation to negotiate.
3. Having filed the electronic
invitation to negotiate form, the First
receives a confirmation message from the Secretariat
via email within the next 24 hours.
4. The Second Party will receive
the invitation to negotiate from the Secretariat
will be given seven (7) days to respond.
5. In the absence of a response,
the Second Party is deemed to have refused to participate.
6. If the Second Party responds,
both Parties negotiate in an attempt to find a mutually
acceptable solution to the dispute.
Step 2 Mediation Phase
7. In the absence of agreement,
either party may request the assistance
of a neutral third party, the Mediator.
8. The Secretariat may appoint
a Mediator selected from ECODIRs lists or
appoint the mediator chosen by the Parties.
9. The Mediator then reviews the
file and makes an attempt to bring the Parties to
a settlement. The Mediator is proactive and can make
Step 3 Recommendation Phase
10. In the absence of agreement
after 15 days from the beginning of the mediation
phase, the Mediator makes a recommendation.
11. Except where otherwise
agreed, the Parties are not bound by this recommendation